Customer Quote

Everything we do is customer-driven. The work these bots are doing is helping drive a better customer experience.

RPA Manager

Customer achievements.

Customer Achievements


Increase in daily prepaid accounts processed


Of prepaid card screening process automated


Processes automated

Automating 95% of workflow keeps a billion cards working around the world.

The company needed to eliminate errors in its core systems where accuracy is paramount. By implementing intelligent automation, they were able to automate 95% of the workflow, significantly increasing their daily accounts processed from 70 to 700. The remaining 5% required minimal employee screening. Automating also allowed the team and automation to work during US hours, boosting overall productivity. Another automation streamlined core system processes, such as inputting bank identification numbers, freeing up employees and preventing errors for billions of cards worldwide. PEP checks were also expedited, reducing hours of manual work to just 10 minutes with an automation.

Processes automated.

  • Prepaid card transaction reviews
  • Data extraction and inputting
  • Politically exposed person (PEP) or sanctions list checks
  • Dispute processing

Customer overview.

The company runs the world’s fastest payment processing networks.

Continue your intelligent automation journey.

Download PDF

Get a PDF version of this customer story.

Download case study
Download case study


Discover the Automation Success Platform.

Learn more
Learn more


How are others leveraging intelligent automation?

View testimonials
View testimonials

See what our customers have to say.

Gartner Peer Insights

Get to know the Automation Success Platform.

Try Automation Anywhere

For Businesses

Sign up to get quick access to a full, personalized product demo

For Students & Developers

Start your RPA journey instantly with FREE access to Community Edition