Testing Anywhere - Version History
|Version History||Release Date|
|Version 8.1 - Current Version
|Version 8.1 - Current Version|
|New Features & Enhancements|
- Cross Browser Testing Support
- Introducing support for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Now play the same recorded tests in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox without making any changes.
- This aids in automated testing for Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and/or Mozilla Firefox.
- No development environment required. No compilation required. No manual patching required. Easiest automating for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, just install plugin and start playing.
- SMART Recorder
- Introducing Cross Browser Testing functionality in 'SMART Recorder'.
- Added the ability to record a test once and play without making any changes in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and/or Mozilla Firefox.
- New and enhanced recording technology is utilized to record the test with Internet Explorer.
- Enhanced 'Search Criteria' user interface for each control with static properties. This will help the users to easily identify the 'Type of Object' and 'Technology' of that control.
- Introducing new HTML elements like bold, font, all header objects (h1 to h6), figcaption, p type (paragraph type) and many more.
- Test, Run Suite and Workflow
- Enhanced the user interface for Test, Run Suite and Workflow. This allows users to precisely select the browser(s) to play the test, run suite or workflow.
- Now play a test multiple times in a single or multiple browsers.
- Introducing 'Browser Type' column for many of the reporting grids like Visual Logs of Test and Run Suite.
- Introducing a new '$Browser Type$' system variable for controls that differ from Internet Explorer. e.g. pop up boxes, back button and many more.
- Added new browser type command line arguments for create EXE. e.g. TestName.exe/bchrome.
- Launch Website, Open and Close browser commands are now cross browser compatible and the same commands can be used for Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
- Enhanced usability of 'Run Test' command. This will allow users to select the browser type for a run test command.
- In some cases 'Stop Test' command of a test tried to stop the Run Suite. Fixed.
- Sometimes, shifting back from Expert View to Normal view gives an error. Fixed.
- In certain cases mouse-click did not work. Fixed.
|New Features & Enhancements|
- Silverlight & Flex
- Enhanced support for Microsoft Silverlight and Flex applications. This aids in the automated black box testing of Rich Internet applications.
- No development environment required. No compilation required. No manual patching required. Automating test cases for Silverlight & Flex made easy, just plugin – record – play.
- Many more properties for Silverlight & Flex have been added for easy verification.
- Added a new 'Get Property' action for Silverlight & Flex controls.
- Support for 3rd party controls or custom controls for Silverlight.
- SMART Recorder
- Introduced 'Change Window Title' functionality in 'SMART Recorder' command. This is very useful where the application's window title is changing randomly/dynamically.
- Added 'Bulk Edit' for 'Search Criteria' – Now you can select multiple 'SMART Recorder' commands and change object properties in one shot. This functionality is also applicable for 'If – Object Property', 'Insert Checkpoint – Object Property' and 'Loop – Object Property' commands.
- Added a filter for 'SMART Recorder' commands in the test editor. This is helpful for filtering SMART Recorder commands e.g. changing object properties for multiple commands at once.
- Enhanced the user interface for 'Search Criteria'. This gives a very clear and accurate information of which properties are selected to search the object.
- Users will now be assisted with a SMART Tip when the object is not found at first to help them identify the cause of error.
- Added wildcard (*) support for 'Object Properties' and 'Window Title'. This is used to replace the dynamically changing value with a wildcard (*).
- Introducing support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. You can now verify your tests on Microsoft Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 so that your applications are compatible to run reliably on the latest versions of Windows.
Note: In this version of Testing Anywhere, only desktop applications are supported. Support for the new Modern/Metro UI applications is not available.
- Introducing support for Internet Explorer 10. Web and Rich Internet applications can now be recorded and run reliably in Internet Explorer 10.
Note: The Modern/Metro UI version of Internet Explorer is not supported. Only the desktop version of Internet Explorer 10 is supported with this release.
- Enhanced the 'Insert Checkpoint' with the ability to select 'Search Criteria'. Users will now have the flexibility to specify editable 'Search Criteria' and also verify its properties.
- Now, Testing Anywhere supports 'Active Directory' integration for adding client users. With this, client users can now login using their Active Directory credentials.
- Added the ability to change the 'Application Path' in Testing Anywhere Server. This allows the user to customize the application path where all the tests reside.
- Now, when a test is uploaded from the client, it will create a backup file for the existing test on the server. This helps in recovery of the old test in case a test was uploaded by error.
- In certain cases, exporting Visual Logs to PDF did not work. Fixed.
- Sometimes, export table to CSV having one record, using SMART Recorder, did not work. Fixed.
- In certain cases, while running test in debug mode, some breakpoints used to get skipped. Fixed.
- In rare cases, visual log was showing an incorrect image if the command used was 'If – Window exists' or 'Insert Checkpoint – Window exists'. Fixed.
|New Features & Enhancements|
- Enhanced Test to EXE functionality that detects and applies the JRE settings on the remote machine. This allows the Java tests to run on disparate machines without changing the test file.
- Now Testing Anywhere supports silent installation. This will allow the user to run the setup from the command line. This is a great support when Testing Anywhere needs to be installed on multiple machines without any user intervention.
- Added intelligence to Update Avatar functionality. This helps in notifying the user the potential risk of having old avatar properties associated with the test. If the associated avatar properties in the test and avatar repository differ then:
- A warning is shown in the SMART Recorder command.
- Allows the user to identify the problem in the Test Log.
- Significantly improved performance of the Extract Table functionality. In most cases, it runs 2x faster.
- Significantly improved performance of the Download File functionality. In most cases, it runs 3x faster.
- Added support for screenshots while evaluating the below checkpoints. This will give the user a clear understanding about the checkpoint failure.
- Window exists
- Window does not exist
- Web Object
- Windows Object
- Object Properties
- Enhanced Image Recognition command with an option to repeat the command in case the image is not found at first. This provides the flexibility while testing objects and websites which are dynamically loaded.
- Now SMART Recorder supports testing of Java applications built using JRE 7 as well.
- Added support for SMTPS in the Send Mail functionality.
- In certain cases, when object avatar is updated it does not play correctly. Fixed.
- SMART Recorder command could not be migrated. Fixed.
- Log to File command inserts a new line after every entry. Fixed.
- In certain cases, system log was not migrated properly. Fixed.
- Change Window Title not able to work with wildcard characters. Fixed.
- Sometimes visual log images are not captured when a test is run. Fixed.
- Default action for mouse click should be set only for left click. Fixed.
- For some RAD controls SMART Recorder's properties were not set correctly. Fixed.
- Visual log images should get removed when a command is updated. Fixed.
- SMART Recorder:
- Now SMART Recorder automatically detects the technology (Standard, Advanced, and Java).
- Added functionality to Pause and Resume the SMART Recorder recording window.
- Now SMART Recorder uses a plug-in specifically introduced to expose more properties for Internet Explorer Browser.
- Enhanced SMART Recorder with even better object recognition support for Silverlight and WPF applications.
- Now object search is enhanced to use newly introduced 'Path' property for better object recognition using its hierarchy.
- Enhanced Tooltips to show more information such as 'Item Text' for Combo Box items.
- Added more actions for all the controls - Right Click, Double Click and Left Click.
- Added a new 'Expand' action for Tree View and Combo Box controls.
- Web Recorder:
- Now Web Recorder is enhanced for faster command playing.
- Introduced two new search criteria for better search facility in Manage Web Objects command for all objects. They are Object Name and Object Id.
- Added capabilities to extract inner details of a table such as links, image path, link URLs, and image navigation path in Extract Table command.
- Now Find Broken Link command supports more extensions such as .aspx and .php.
- Added support for searching objects within inner frame, frameset and nested iframes.
- Enhanced Expert View with free-flow editor. Expert view now supports '\n' as new line character.
- Added SSL support in Trigger Manager for the trigger type of Email Message.
- Added options to 'Pause' and 'Stop' Test in Player run-time window.
- Now OCR command supports TOCR third party component as well.
- Added Unicode support in Log file format for SNMP and Error Handling commands.
- Enhanced Excel command to support already open Excel files.
- Enhanced Read CSV command to support unlimited columns.
- Now Users can choose if String Operation – Before/After command should return an Empty (Null) string in case where no string match is found.
- Added variable support for Service Selection Combo Box in IF – Services command.
- Now Find and Replace in String Operation command supports Regular Expressions.
- Now the new 'Advanced View' option in Connect command of Terminal Emulator supports SSH1 and SSH2.
- Added variable support for Window Name in all the Window Based commands.
- Enhanced Image Recognition command with an option to specify a tolerance value for matching the images.
- Added two more comparison modes - Monochrome and Gray scale - for matching the images in Image Recognition command.
- Added PDF Integration command to provide seamless PDF integration.
- Added Insert Mouse Scroll command to insert mouse scroll action in the tests.
- Added a new variable Type - DataTable - to store and manipulate a set of data in the tests. Now users can read and manipulate data from various data sources such as Text, CSV, Excel or Databases using DataTable variable easily.
- Added support to capture images in newly added formats such as TIFF, WMF, GIF, PNG, JPEG for Screen Capture command.
- Now multiple instances of the Reports can be opened.
- Now Dashboard supports ROI type of reports as well.
- Sometimes, append and drag drop command was taking more time in Edit Test. Fixed.
- In certain cases, playing of commands was slow in Web Recorder. Fixed.
- Sometimes, multiple tests scheduled at the same time were not being executed. Fixed.
- In certain cases, Image Recognition command was not clicking at the centre of checkboxes. Fixed.
- SMART Recorder:
- Enhanced SMART Recorder with superior object recognition technology which supports Sliverlight, JAVA AWT and Swing, WPF and .NET controls.
- Now SMART Recorder command exposes many more properties of the captured object that can be used for setting checkpoints or selecting the search criteria to identify the object.
- More powerful object search functionality as the object property values used as search criteria is now editable.
- Enhanced visual logs feature with the support for exporting the logs to a PDF file along with run-time and record-time images. The PDF visual log gives a very clear and accurate idea about the test execution and issues with it, if any.
- Added Registry command to automate various registry management tasks. Now a checkpoint can be set on a specific registry value as well.
- Now Testing Anywhere supports integration with JIRA. Users can perform seamless reporting of a failed checkpoint to JIRA from the Test Log screen.
- Web Recorder:
- Now user can choose if the new URL be opened in the existing IE window or not.
- Added functionality of selecting an item using INDEX. This allows you to play back the controls where control text frequently changes.
- Enhanced Extract Data functionality with faster data extraction capabilities.
- Added support to work seamlessly with UAC (User Access Control) of Windows Vista and Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bits.
- Enhanced Web Recorder that supports firing the OnClick event when the item is selected from the dropdown.
- Added support for Copy and Paste of columns in Extract Multiple Data command. Now you can get URL and caption of a link much quicker without recapturing the link.
- Enhanced support for HTTP/HTTPS protocols and security certificates.
- Improved object support by exposing many more properties of the web object.
- Added support for Right Click on certain objects that have OnContextMenu actions defined.
- Now Web Recorder supports multiple monitors with different resolutions.
- Added support for MS Exchange for the command Send Email in the Create exe.
- Added functionality of customizing the hotkey for stopping a task via Tools > Options.
- Enhanced Loop command with support for CSV with more than 20,000 rows.
- Now the Read from CSV/Text command supports path that is mixture of constant and variables.
- Improved XML command's functionality to accommodate rather uncommon conventions of default namespace.
- Added support of Trigger for the password protected tasks.
- Now Auto Login is supported on XP 64-bit machines as well.
- Improved Image Recognition command with sophisticated pattern matching logic and increased efficiency. Now, Image Recognition command performs at least 4x faster with large size images.
- Now double clicking on a shortcut of a task launches the task in the existing Automation Anywhere instance, if found.
- Added a setting to configure what key to use to stop the test execution (earlier ESC was used for this action). The setting can be found under Tools > Options > Hotkeys.
- Sometimes, list variables did not appear in Message Box or Log to File command. Fixed.
- In certain cases, the Windows action "Close all open windows" didn't work properly on Windows 7. Fixed.
- The Find Broken Link command didn't work properly if HREF contains blank value. Fixed.
- When system variable Date is used in Variable operations with hyphens, e.g. ($Date--test--), '-' is converted into the '\'. Fixed.
- Rarely, while recording a task using Object Recorder, it was unable to find a window even if it existed. Fixed.
- Using Manage Web Controls, after selecting "Select Action", if the user decides to change the preference to "Select Item by Text", the "Item to Select" box fails to reappear. Fixed.
|New Features & Enhancements|
- Added a new feature of Avatar which is a reusable screen capture that retains the screen’s live object properties (like the Name, Type, Value and Parent of each control). Avatars can be used over and over to create many different kinds of tests without the need of the actual application installed on the computer.
- Added a new feature of SMART Recorder which works with local and global Avatars as well as the application to create the tests. It also captures the image and coordinates of the object and allows user to play the command in the object, image or coordinate mode.
- Now for expert users of Testing Anywhere, a new way of creating a test is introduced in the Test Editor. It’s called the Expert View. It allows the user to type the commands in the editor and set the arguments.
- Enhanced Data Parameterization feature which now allows the variable values to be fetched from various sources like database, excel and CSV/Text file. This is very powerful in generating different test data sets.
- Now Testing Anywhere supports integration with the HP Quality Center (HPQC) test management system. After the test runs, Testing Anywhere can update the HPQC test lab for seamless test management.
- Added a new feature of ‘Web Service’. This allows you to integrate with a Web service to establish seamless dataflow between clients/applications with the Web, supporting XML-based open standards, such as WSDL (Web Services Description Language), SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) and UDDI (Universal Description Discovery and Integration).
- Added a new feature of XML that provides a tight integration with any XML document, be it online or as a text blob. It allows various operations to be performed like insert/update/delete nodes and attributes at given points to name a few.
- Added a new feature of Terminal Emulator. This allows you to emulate virtually any server/mainframe that requires the use of a terminal with protocols such as ANSI, VT100, TN3270 and TN5250.
- Enhanced String Operations command which now includes variety of functions like Sub String, Replace, Join, etc. to manipulate the data.
- Now all the scheduled tests can be tracked from the newly added Schedule Manager. It provides a calendar-type view with various filtering options to have better visibility on the scheduled tests.
- Added object recognition support for applications built using various technologies like WPF, Janus, Silverlight to name a few.
- Added a functionality of Find-Replace in Excel.
- Enhanced ‘Get Cells command of Excel with a newly added option ‘Get All Cells’ to loop through all the active cells of the spreadsheet.
- Added two new system variables ‘Excel Cell Row’ and ‘Excel Cell Column’ to find out the address of the cell in use.
- Enhanced ‘Open Program/File’ functionality where now you can specify a ‘Start In’ folder for the selected application/exe.
- Now declaring of an ‘If’ and ‘Error Handling’ blocks just got easier. Just select multiple consecutive commands from the editor, right click and select ‘Insert If Condition’ or ‘Insert Error Handling’ option.
- Now you can run the test from a specific command by right-clicking on the selected command and selecting ‘Run from this Step’ option.
- Added a new functionality for Loop Condition where now the condition can be evaluated at the end of the loop instead of at the beginning.
- Enhanced ‘Run Stored Procedure’ command with an ability to send input, output or input-output type of parameters while calling the procedure.
- Now the output of the ‘Run Stored Procedure’ command can be saved in the CSV file.
- Improved image comparison logic for the ‘Image Recognition’ command which can now perform comparison up to 5 times faster.
- Enhanced Web Recorder that will support multiple value selection in a listbox while recording.
- Added ability to change the column positions of the CSV file while using pattern based web data extraction functionality.
- Enhanced scheduling functionality with an option to repeat the test every x minutes. Also, now ‘End Date’ can be specified.
- Added support for wildcards at the beginning of the filename for the commands FTP/SFTP.
- Added support for timeout in the ‘Extract Data’ and ‘Extract Table’ command of Web Recorder.
- Added a variable support for the script path in the ‘Run Script’ command.
- Enhanced ‘Task-to-EXE’ feature where ‘Run Script’ can have the non-existent script path.
- Enhanced Web Recorder with added support for nested child frame support.
- Enhanced SMART automation logic for Web Recorder which now supports searching of a control in all the IE windows opened by the application.
- Enhanced Debug mode which is faster and supports nested loops with any number of iterations.
- Improved Test Editor’s performance for rather large tests.
- Now the ‘Insert Keystrokes’ feature can be used in conjunction with the Terminal window.
- Now use Ctrl-a to select all the tests of a Run Suite in the Run Suite editor and all the visual logs of a test or a Run Suite for ease of use.
- Added support for Send Email command working with Exchange Server in creating the executable.
- Added Object Properties checkpoint under ‘Insert Checkpoint’ command which helps verify the object properties at run time.
- Added Packet Content checkpoint under ‘Insert Checkpoint’ command that helps verify the content coming out of a particular TCP/UDP port on a hostname.
- Added support for uploading/downloading files other than tests, e.g. doc type, etc.
- Enhanced storing capacity of $FieldData Column$ to be able to store large amount of data while exporting data from a CSV/Text file.
- Extended support for ‘Object Used’ under Properties > Test Report to the test executable.
- Now a file can be deleted from the server via ‘Server Communication’ functionality if the client has the ‘Delete’ access permission.
- Now even variables mentioned inside the square brackets, i.e . will yield the proper value and not be escaped.
- Added an option under Tools > Options > Advance Settings to indicate how many visual logs of a test should be displayed in one page.
- When the application path is changed to be on a network drive and the drive gets disconnected, Testing Anywhere could not start. Fixed.
- ‘Run Task’ command with variables as parameters was not working properly when the test is converted to an executable. Fixed.
- $Filename$ system variable could not be referenced in case of a nested loop using ‘Loop for each file in Folder’ command. Fixed.
- In 2008, the ‘HTML’ option of the ‘Send Email’ command did not offer variable support. Fixed.
- In certain cases, GDI objects were getting leaked. Fixed.
|New Features & Enhancements|
- Improved test editor performance for rather large tests.
- Now Undo/Redo functionality is configurable via settings.ini.
- In rare cases, while editing image-based commands, ‘Path/File access error’ appears. Fixed.
|Testing Anywhere provides a variety of alternative recording tools allowing a perfect answer for every testing scenario. An excellent offering; from the initial presale, product demonstration being more functional oriented than the typical sales staff showing off all the bells and whistles, right through to online videos covering specific technical points, a full and detailed user manual, and a help system that offers guidance when building my testing scripts.|
|- Andrew Spary, Multisoft |
|Read Customer Testimonies >>|